Backdrops are images that appear on your Chromecast connected TV when you are not streaming any content. In a way, these are screensavers for your Chromecast. This article explains how to set up Chromecast backdrops.
Google provides a bunch of curated images that you can select from. You can also show your own photos using Google Photos. There are other items like news headlines that you can display as Chromecast backdrop.
Setting Up Backdrop
You can set up Chromecast backdrops using the Google Home app. You will need to link your Chromecast to your Google account to do this.
After linking Chromecast to your Google account:
- Open Google Home app on your phone.
- Tap the devices icon on the top right corner. You will now see all the Chromecast devices on the network.
- Tap the three dots menu icon on your device and choose Settings.
- Tap Backdrop Settings.
- Tap Yes, I’m in to agree to terms and conditions.
- Now, you can select the sources or type of content that you want to display as backdrop. The following options are available:
- Google Photos
- Play Newstand
- Featured Photos
- Earth and space
- Along with this, you can select Weather to be displayed over backdrops and also set custom speed to control the speed.
Each item has additional control to further personalize the content. For some services, like Google Photos and Facebook, you will need to connect your account to Google Home to display content on your TV.
Got questions on backdrops? Drop us a comment!